May 10, 2010

Why DIY (Do It Yourself)?

The mall is a nightmare. It looks glamorous until you have to fight your way through crowds, wait in the long lines of the dressing room, pay outrageously high prices for lunch at the food court, and leave with two items and zero cash in your wallet. A great thrift store diva to check out is Ms. Shopping Golightly from The Thrifty Chicks -- she explains how our consumer society is a wasteful entity, and what to do about it (thrift!). After a day of shopping at the mall, I usually leave stressed, with more than my fair share of fights with loved ones having occurred there.

Pictured above: A fabric sunflower planted on the wall at a Mother's Day brunch from last Sunday.

I want to escape from that. However, I don't shop online because I don't like being surprised by poor quality. So, to nurture my unique sense of style, save some cash, and unleash my creativity (so to speak), I think I'll start DIYing some of my clothes, and other craftsy stuff around the house and my room. I would love to work with colors and textures of fabrics because they brighten rooms up.

A couple of sites that have amazed me upon my research of DIY fashion are:

  • Giannyl features creations by a woman named Gianny who sews up fun and simple projects that are presented in video-format.
  • Threadbanger is a site that I came across on Youtube by chance one day and have kept coming back since. I first watched their tutorial on making a Duct Tape Dress Form, and have found their collection of DIY fashion advice to be a must for people aspiring to keep DIY in their lives.

The internet is brimming with craft projects that focus on decor. These tend to excite me since I love a cheerful ambiance that holds uniqueness. It inspires and motivates. Yee haw!

No comments:

Visit the New Blog

If you're looking for freshly updated content, visit my new blog at www.SelinaPittari.com.