June 2, 2010

Internet Break = More Inspiration?

So, I was on hiatus for a material-making-monster-appreciation-memorial-day-weekend. Yes. The gifts that I made for important people in my life consumed my weekend and countless hours beyond that. I feel so happy after having given the presents away, however. The crazy thing is, I don't even care if I get anything back in return.

A break from the internet was like me taking a breath of fresh air after having inhaled the stale recycled air of an office building for so long. I stepped outside. Outside of my normal boundaries, and outside of my mental comfort zone. I was finally able to focus on producing and not consuming.

The things I made include:

-a stuffed animal penguin memo holder for my site manager
-a stuffed animal lion memo holder for my other site manager
-5 mini scrapbooks for my team members
-goodie bags for the children in my preschool classroom

Taking on these projects and seeing them through to the end was a real confidence booster. Spending time on gifts for people who are important to me is so much more meaningful than buying presents. Store-bought items can be well thought-out, but are usually last-minute and don't hold the same intrinsic value.

In essence, my vacation from the internet was a productive one, and I'm not sorry that I took it.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Those sound like awesome gifts! I definitely need to show appreciation in more meaningful ways.

Visit the New Blog

If you're looking for freshly updated content, visit my new blog at www.SelinaPittari.com.