June 21, 2010

How I Wear Florals (by using the art of balance)

A floral piece can be quite obnoxious if not worn with the right ensemble balancing it out. Although sometimes difficult to style, I'm in love with them right now. My style has morphed over the years -- from an athletic look to one with a more glamorous and girly flavor, so it makes sense that I'd enjoy florals. They are the classic delicate touch to any outfit. In both photography and fashion, I can't stay away. Here are my tips on how to balance out and wear this (long-lasting) trend.



Balance the fit of the garment
The blouse above has a flowy feel to it, but is cinched at the waist for emphasis. I chose to add skinny jeans because they also provide a contrast to the billowy top. The chandelier earrings mimic the width of the sleeves. The powder blue clutch purse serves as another focal point for the eyes.



Balance the colors
A common method in art pieces is to add a color in multiple places to draw the eye around and create interest. When I fashion my outfits, I tend to choose one piece to work off of and then continue building out from there.To create this outfit, I began with the floral skirt. I chose the pink ruffle top because it brought out accents of the pink from the skirt. The blue braided headband and yellow heels do the same trick. The ring on the other hand serves as a "toughener," adding a bit of metal grunge to this outfit of ruffles and flowers.


There you have it -- a couple of key points that I think about before putting on my florals in the morning.


So tell me: How do you like to wear florals?

No comments:

Visit the New Blog

If you're looking for freshly updated content, visit my new blog at www.SelinaPittari.com.