June 18, 2010

5 Secrets to Overcoming Indecision

There's a strain that comes with too much freedom. A healthy soul knows that there are no limits to the possibilities of what it could be achieving right now. However, the mind isn't equipped to rationalize limitless options. We become indecisive when we aren't sure of the "best" path, or when we're sure there's always something "better" out there. A problem that I'm grappling with right now is that I haven't been able to make up my mind about how I want my new blog layout to look. I mean, I know that I can make anything happen if I put my mind to it -- but what do I really want to happen?

Here's how I'm narrowing things down so that I can make decisions and finally create something:

1. Pinpoint where your true happiness lies
If there's a gut feeling, follow it. In my case, I know I enjoy the crisp, clean, white-background layouts of many fashion blogs out there, so that's probably what I'll base my design on.

2. Do a little research
Just because you yearn for a certain outcome doesn't mean that it will be the best for you in the long-run. I suggest you check out competition to avoid being sold short. Your gut feeling can change with the right key information.

3. Expose yourself to inspiration
Sometimes all you need is someone to show you the way. I've been looking at the websites of skilled designers, feeding my own designer brain with high-quality images and well thought-out placement of site elements. This will eventually help me to imitate the great.

4. Retreat into your own mind
It is wonderful to be affected and moved by the work of others, but it is up to you to process that information and come up with your own mixture of styles.

5. Choose something
And understand that it's okay to fail, to pick something inferior to the "best" option out there. Keep in mind that you can always update, upgrade, outdo your original decision. This can't be the end of the world. So, don't let it be.

Happy choosing!

No comments:

Visit the New Blog

If you're looking for freshly updated content, visit my new blog at www.SelinaPittari.com.