April 29, 2010

The Internal Effects of Dancing

Dancing can be a wonderful thing for the body, but what exactly are the internal effects of dancing? In this post I will explore some immediate effects that I've encountered so far in my three lessons in Middle Eastern bellydancing.

Self-esteem
Each session I become progressively more in tune with my body and more awed by the grace in my movements (sounds narcissistic, no?). I'll tell you one thing though. It's a great self-esteem booster when you've been having a bad day.

Multi-tasking
Your feet are moving at a different tempo than your hands are. Does your hair look good? Are you smiling? Is your belt on tight? Don't bend the wrists -- it's bad form.

Knowledge of Other Cultures
My class is taught by a professional bellydancer who models traditional clothing of bellydancers around the world, and educates us about stylistic differences between cultures (e.g., Persian hand and head movements).

Great Observation Skills
Learning choreography is hard. It's especially hard when you're unfamiliar with the movements that are characteristic of the dance. But it's great practice. It's also very complex due to the nature of it all. I mean, you've got to mimic the movements of another person, in a way that transfers well with the composition and physical range of your body. However once mastered, the art is seductive. It's transforming. It's sublime.

Positive Affect
Last session I went into the class feeling drained of all my energy. I came out feeling refreshed and renewed. I don't know how expending energy was able to perk me up, but it did and I'm mystified.

And there you have it. A short list of wonderful (but not physical) effects of dancing.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

watching you shake it was sublime :)

Visit the New Blog

If you're looking for freshly updated content, visit my new blog at www.SelinaPittari.com.